Parking lot art

Senior parking spot art funds project graduation, tells story

Back to Article
Back to Article

Parking lot art

Senior Victoria Zapata shows off her artistically decorated parking spot.

Charlotte O'Dell, Student Life Editor

In the days leading up to the start of the 2019 school year, Hays seniors were out in the hot Texas sun personalizing their senior parking spots with colorful art.

Seniors with a purchased spot pay $35 to paint their parking space, with proceeds going to Project Graduation. A stroll through the lot after cars are gone will show everything from inside jokes to Whataburger-themed spots. Hays seniors created very original designs.

Anthony Hellen, 12, said, “I painted my parking spot the way I did because I have the best group of friends and each picture has a funny meaning to it and we some dogs.” Anthony’s parking spot (left) shows drawings of his friends and their nicknames.

Senior Kate Sparrow said she “wanted my spot to be fun and different from what I’d seen in the past so I tried to do something original but with a good meaning behind it. I love how it came out. It was way more fun than I thought it would be to paint.”

The tradition, which began in 2018, are a good snapshot of diversity at Hays High Scho

ol, and gives students a chance to express themselves with their parking spot.

Senior Nina Martinez said, “I wanted to do something that resembled my future, and I got a lot of help from my boyfriend. It took a day and I thought I was going to die in the hot weather.”

Isabella Vellarde