Escape room brings Poe’s ‘Masque of Red Death’ to life

Back to Article
Back to Article

Gabrielle Jensen, staff writer, photographer, section editor

On December 14th Ch

ase Bailey’s Pre-AP English I class put on an “escape room” based on Edgar Allen Poe’s ‘Masque of Red Death.’ I was fortunate enough to be able to witness this wonderful idea first hand.

As to why he chose this approach Bailey said, “My thought process was along the lines of:  They’re freshman. They’re about to encounter their first round of high school finals, and I thought this would be a good way for them to wind down before hand.”

Bailey laid out a series of clues and hid them around the room. Then he started them with a singular clue and set them off with little-to-no extra help.

I was a part of the sixth clue that they had to solve out of seven. I interviewed some of his students about their experience in this two day project.

“I enjoyed this activity because it was productive and fun and I like strategy games,” said Larissa Leal, 9.

In total only about a quarter of the students managed to “escape.” However they all appeared to walk away with a better understanding of Poe’s story.

“The complexity, difficulty and the teamwork needed is what I liked most about it,” said Samuel Rajnoch, 9.

Bailey said, “Overall I feel as though this taught the students more about analyzing words and stories, so Im looking forward to more creative activities like this one.”

*See Gabi’s Instagram story for more photos.