The Nation Wired

Teens change the voting narrative

The 2018 Midterm Elections and its impact on Hays High School students

Isabella Sada, content editor, photographer

The 2018 Midterm election: one of the most important turnout rates of our nation’s history. Teenage Texans all around the state took time to investigate, come up with a decision and vote by Tuesday, November 6. The candidates that made the debate and turn-out grow were Senator incumbent Ted Cruz (R) and Senator candidate Beto O’Rourke (D), both with innovative and inspiring policy ideas for the development of the state.

As more and more teens become part of political culture and incorporation, the question rises, did teenagers and young adults change the narrative of politics and voting?

“I honestly wasn’t expecting Beto to win just because of the sheer amount of followers Ted Cruz has accumulated but I was expecting the  young voter turnout to skyrocket and it definitely did which means very good things for this generation’s future,” senior Merisa van Schalkwyk said.

As Hays High students develop their opinions about society, and the country, passions, conversations and controversies arise.

“I was hoping for a political shift in Texas, I wanted it to become more democratic. Beto represented a voice for those of us who don’t really have one, all of the undocumented immigrants who vouched for a voice, all of those of felt underrepresented. Beto was that guy, but we haven’t lost yet. Beto, we will see you in the 2020 elections,” senior Belen Contreras said.

As the political debate continues, so does the tension in our country. As some students argue that the divide between the political parties can only mean digression for solving social issues, bettering the economy, and international affair issues.

“The one thing I would say is that we need to respect each other’s opinion. If you’re a Democrat or a Republican it’s important to be nice and respectful to each other. If we don’t then it’s going to discourage more from getting involved in the political process,” senior Colton Tolbert said.