The Nation Wired

Drum roll, please

Katelyn Morgan, writer, photographer

Senior Allen Author has been playing the drums for the Hays Rebel Band his entire high school career. When asked why he choose to play the drums Allen said, “My dad played and that inspired me to start playing as well.” Allen has had to put in a lot of hard work and dedication these past for years. His advice for all future band members is “That it is a tough activity that takes up a lot of time. You have to be dedicated and willing to put forth your best effort.”

Band may be tough and time consuming but it comes with a lot of fun memories. “My favorite part about half time is the student section” Allen Author, 12, said. The band spent countless hours together at practices, competitions, football games, long bus rides creating friendships that will be cherished forever. When asked what will he miss most about band after he graduates Allen said, “I will miss the friends I have made”.
Band members gain more then just fun memories and improved technique. “Band is physically and mentally tough. it is exhausting, but teaches you work ethic and character,” Author said.

The band normally practices at least 10 hours a week before and after school to perfect their performances. But practice makes perfect. Last Saturday, October 13th, the Hays Rebel Band competed at the Texas Marching Classic at Kelly Reeves stadium in Round Rock. The band had an outstanding performance and placed 3rd in 6 A finals. It takes a lot of hard work and dedication for the band to perform well. On Tuesday, October 23rd the Hays Rebel band will compete in the UIL region marching contest and continue to the Area Marching contest on October 27th.

About the Writer
Katelyn Morgan, writer, photographer, videographer

Katelyn Morgan is a senior who is new to Hays Media. She is excited to capture and write about all the exciting events that take place at Hays. This year...