The Nation Wired

Review: The House with a Clock in Its Walls

courtesy Universal Studios

courtesy Universal Studios

courtesy Universal Studios

Hayden Howell, videographer, photographer

I went to see “The House with a Clock in Its Walls” — and the parents who enjoy horror movies will appreciate this introduction to the genre, but families with sensitive kids should think about whether they’re up for even a “light” fright flick. Those who do watch will appreciate the movie’s messages about teamwork, perseverance and facing your fears.

The movie is based off the 1973 book of the same name and stars Jack Black and Cate Blanchett.

Owen Vaccaro is okay as the lead role. I won’t say it’s amazing, but for child-acting  he’s passable. There are a few bad deliveries from him, but for the most part he didn’t annoy me. Most of the child-acting here is alright too.

I feel that the adult acting was far better, with Black (Jonathan Barnavelt) which gave the movie a little bit more of a lighter family mood. With a comedy background, he gives me that feeling that it’s not scary. Also Blanchett (Mrs. Zimmerman) had a nice tie in with the main characters as a bickering flirt with Black’s character, Jonathan Barnavelt.

the year is 1955, Following the death of lewis Barnavelt parents. Lewis Barnavelt (Owen Vaccaro) goes to live with his estranged Uncle Jonathan (Jack Black) in New Zebedee, Michigan in a creepy old house that local kids believe to be haunted. However, Lewis starts to suspect that not everything about his uncle is as it seems. And of course it isn’t, as it is revealed that Jonathan and his neighbor Florence Zimmerman (Cate Blanchett) are a warlock and witch. here he learns the mysteries and haunting history behind the the house he lives in.

About the Writer
Hayden Howell, photographer

Hayden Howell is a sophomore and a first year Hays Media staffer. Hayden enjoys watching The Office and playing baseball in his spare time. He is happy to be on the staff because he likes taking pictures and being with his friends. He came into the class excited and ready to learn more about what goes into the yearbook. In his spare time he likes doing art and watching the J Hawks. His favorite bands/singers are Travis Scott, Jay-Z, Kendrick Lamar and Drake. Hayden is most excited to better his photography and video skills.

1 Comment

One Response to “Review: The House with a Clock in Its Walls”

1. Jaziray Trevino on October 19th, 2018 3:28 pm

I really want to see the movie too it looks so cool

If you want a picture to show with your comment, go get a gravatar.

The Student News Site of Hays High School