The Nation Wired

Life Without a Phone

Elisa Montoya, Nation Wired Staffer

My parents have recently come to a conclusion that they like my attitude more than when I’m without my phone rather than with. Like most teens, I was certain that my life and social life was over without a phone. But just in this past week, I have learned and seen more than I would have if I had my phone

Day one was terrible. My attitude sucked and I felt like I was going to miss out on so much. Classes went by slow. I had nothing to do and nothing to listen to. I felt anxious that I wouldn’t be aware of the “important news” that was going on with the people around me. I was worried I wouldn’t be one of the first to know if Kylie Jenner posted a new selfie, or that I would miss out on the important updates with Channing Tatum’s rumored divorce. My mind was at a million places at once rather than focusing on the things I have in front of me.

I began to explore my life out of boredom. I figured that if I was going to be phone-less for a while I would at least try and make the best of it. In this time, I changed my way of thinking. I told myself that this is a time to focus on the things that I want and need. One of the things I love to do is play softball and it has been a long-term goal of mine to go out of state for that. I am now taking my goal seriously seeing that I now have no distractions and its all great timing.

Not having a phone has in a way improved my attitude. I realize now that I was so caught up with what everyone else was doing and basing my life around Snapchat streaks or likes on a post. The technology was originally designed to help and improve our daily lives has taken advantage of us and has truly controlled our life.